Monday, September 10, 2012

Finally, a chance to breathe...and blog

Oh my goodness, was that an adventure. As evidenced by the title of my blog, I have a bit of an interest in baking, which I, some days, dream of turning into a profession. Well, on Saturday, a friend of mine got married and had asked me to do cake/cupcakes. Nevermind that my previous biggest request was for 50 people, I decided I was up to the task of 200 cupcakes and an 8 inch, 3 layer cake. 3 different flavor cakes, which I had to mix in 5 batches due to volume, and 5 different types of decoration. I lost count of the eggs and shortening used (more than 30 and more than 7 cups, respectively). I worked on the decorations off and on for more than a week, and, with the exception of sleeping, devoted most of the 48 hours prior to the wedding to baking. I also had the help of Tony, and for several important hours, my mom. Due to the perils of traveling with frosted cupcakes, we had to decorate on site. I missed the ceremony, but we got it all done, just under the wire, and was able to enjoy the accolades (and alcohol) for the rest of the evening. I'm not sure I'd do such a request again, at least while I'm working out of our house, but it was quite the experience. I can't forget to mention the invaluable help of my mother-in-law, who watched the kids whilst I got my crazy bake on.

Friday was actually a good day in Surro World. The doctor for the new agency called me first thing in the morning, and the only reason that didn't warrant verbal abuse on a day my husband got up with the kids is that he called with good news. He approves my previous screening, so I don't have to redo it for him, which will save a little time and resources. Unfortunately, we'll still have to go to LA for the psych screening, which seems silly, but we can't do that until the counselor returns from vacation (do they not have a back-up? That's surprising to me.) sometime after the 18th. Which I'm just now realizing is less than 10 days from now. And Tony will be off work for 5 days starting on the 19th, so that's perfect. And my coordinator said we'd get to schedule our travel tomorrow (Monday)! Woo! She also promised profiles early in the week (I'm hoping tomorrow as well), since I was, in fact, deemed insurable by their backup insurance. Woot. They've excluded covering everything that ever happened to me before, but they will cover my pregnancy if need be. I'm also supposed to be receiving one more paper from the finance department to sign, and then I think we're all done with the boring stuff! Woo and woot!

In more somber news, ex-IF2 emailed me on Friday, imploring that I come back and "be the surrogate mother to my children!!!" :-( :-( :-(  I married my high school sweetheart because I didn't have the ovaries (instead of balls, get it? ;-) ) to be the bad guy even when, deep down in my heart, I knew it was the right thing to do (being the bad guy was right, not marrying him). I refuse to make lasting decisions motivated by guilt any longer. Or, at least, I'll try not to. That makes me sad, and a little selfish (maybe a lot), but this feels like the right decision. I wrote him back an apologetic, but hopefully firm, email. I am so sorry for the sucky situation I contributed to, and I desperately hope they're matched soon.

And now, cupcakes (and then me collapsing, exhausted)!

P.S. Blogger almost crashed and lost the entry I just spent a half hour Swyping. I would have lost my freakin' shit.



1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we have to be a little selfish and do what is right for us. Glad you're able to do that. And I'm even happier to hear all the good news with the next few steps moving so quickly.

    ReplyDelete