Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's a very good place to start...

The beginning, that is.  Which is what I'm calling today.  This day, whichever date it happens to be (I'm fairly certain it's a Thursday because it was Library Day), marks the official beginning of my surrogacy journey.  Granted it's not the very beginningest beginning, which I guess would be the first time I considered being a surro, nor is it the actual current beginning of my most recent foray into this little subculture.  But today is the day I start my blog, and being the visual person I am, I'm not interested in a story I can't see, so this is the official beginning of my story.

I decided to begin today as an optimistic gesture.  I'm planning (positive thinking!) for all things to flow naturally and in good time from this day, making for a blog that's easy writing and good reading.  :-)

I spoke today with my contact at my surrogacy agency who just wanted to clear up a few points on my application.  For example, I did not check the box saying I'd like to work with a straight couple, which was unique in her experience, and she just wanted to confirm.  Yup, that's correct.  I would vastly prefer to work with a gay couple at this time.  I'm staunchly pro-equal rights, and I guess this is my way of putting my uterus where my mouth is.  And what better way to ensure the future is populated by more open-minded people!  ;-)  (Which is not to say that straight people can't also be open-minded, but statistically, I feel like it's safe to say that gay people are more likely to be open-minded.)

So once we went through all of that, she said we're waiting on clearance of my medical records, but I'm more or less on the block now (Eee!).  If they happen to find a match before the clinic finishes with my records, they'll start harassing the clinic to stop dragging its collective feet.  So, right now I am officially waiting on a match.  Woot!  /me does the happy dance  Realistically, that could take anywhere from a week to several months.  /me does the happy, patient dance (That's a real thing in our house, The Patience Dance.  My kids are awesome.)

So here we are, playing the official Surro Waiting Game (patent pending).  Welcome to my surro blog, and I hope you'll join me for this journey.  Thank you so much to all of the amazing surros and IPs who have been brave enough to blog about all the numerous ups and downs involved in this process.  I've been reading them near constantly over the past few weeks and shared your joys over BFPs, sadness at failed transfers, trepidation at giant PIO needles, delight at healthy births and utter despair over lost babies.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Each one of you has helped prepare me for this journey, and I couldn't be more grateful.  I look forward to being a part of this community.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tiffany! I look forward to following along in your journey with you...welcome!!! You definately need patience! Love how you use the term "kidlet" to refer to your kids...i do the same ;)

    ReplyDelete